Best fabrics for the Southwest Florida heat Posted on June 25, 2021 under Blog. | no comments.
Keeping cool in the Southwest Florida heat isn’t easy but choosing the best fabrics to wear in the summer will help. Soaring temperatures hovering around the triple digits and the blazing sun can make being outside miserable. Not only is the heat uncomfortable but also, it’s dangerous for your health.
It’s easy to get overheated and experience heat-related illnesses such as heat cramps, heat exhaustion and heat stroke. However, there are many precautions you can take from staying indoors to wearing cool clothing and staying hydrated.
Tips for keeping cool
- Spend more time indoors in the air conditioning. Avoid outdoor activities midday when it’s the hottest. If you go for a walk each day, for example, go early in the morning.
- Avoid direct sun. When you are outside, look for shaded areas. It’s also a good idea to find areas where you can get a breeze.
- Stay hydrated. Drink more water than usual, even if you aren’t thirsty. In addition to water, drink fluids high in electrolytes. To always have cold water on hand, you can freeze water bottles. Take a bottle with you when you go outside, and you can drink it as it melts.
- Use water to keep you cool. When you’ve been out in the heat, take a dip in the pool or take a cool shower. Splash some cool water on your face while outside and use sports towels or bandannas soaked in cold water to cool your skin.
- Choose the right clothes. Wear loose fitting clothes that are light weight. Fabrics such as cotton are often better than many synthetics. Light fabrics can help air get through to your skin to help keep you cooler. Wear light colors since light-colored clothing reflects light while dark-colored clothing absorbs heat. The more heat absorbed by your clothes, the hotter you’ll be.
In addition to choosing fabrics that are cooler, you might want to consider clothes less likely to stain when you sweat. However, if you are worried about sweat stains, you can have your clothes professionally cleaned.